Monday, May 24, 2010

The Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon - 16 May 2010


I had decided a while back that I wanted to 'tick that box' and complete a half marathon before turning the big 4-0 in June this year. I started training in January, on and off but interspersed with lots of other exercise. By the week before the race I had not run further than 11km so did a 16 km training run with a week to go. Seemed to survive so turned up fully registered on the day and expecting to take about 2.5 hrs. Once I got to the 16km mark (my furthest distance ever) I seemed to hit a mental brick wall. I was not going to give up but I suddenly felt like it was a huge struggle. At that exact moment I spotted Dunc and Iona in the crowd cheering me on!!! It could not have been more perfect timing. They had not planned to come in and at the last minute Dunc had left the boys with various friends and raced into the city to see me. It was just brilliant. Seeing them gave me the motivation to carry on and I completed the 21.2km in 2 hrs and 11 minutes!! I was absolutely thrilled with my time - I want to do another one now to break the 2 hr barrier!!!

No comments: